Healthcare for Homeless Veterans
Healthcare for Homeless Veterans encompasses the following with regards to homeless Veterans:
- Supported Housing
- Homeless Outreach
- Homeless Housing (Contract Residential and Grant & Per Diem)
- HUD-VASH Case Management Program (Section-8 Vouchers) began in 2008 aimed at providing permanent housing to chronically homeless Veterans. Veterans who meet eligibility criteria and are interested in the HUD-VASH Program must have a VA clinician/provider or the HUD-VASH Case Manager complete the HUD-VASH Referral Form. Screening for eligibility is provided by the HUD-VASH Admissions Committee at which time a decision is made for admission into the Program. Questions about the HUD-VASH Program should be forwarded to the HUD-VASH Case Manager.
- Homeless Veterans Dental Initiative - provides dental care for homeless Veterans who meet criteria. Eligible Veterans must be residents in a Homeless Program for at least 60 consecutive days and making progress towards their treatment goals. Eligible Veterans should make contact with their primary care providers to request a Dental Consult.
Healthcare for Homeless Veterans mission is to end homelessness among Veterans through community outreach and partnerships, and to provide outreach services and case management to homeless Veterans in underserved community locations. In addition, we provide linkages to a full range of services including supported housing to break the cycle of homelessness through:
- Vocational Services
- Support Systems
- Case Management
Our goal is to support the Veterans' return to their highest level of functioning by fostering good:
- Physical Health
- Mental Health
- Social Functioning
- Recovery from drugs/alcohol
- Independent living
- Veterans who have been homeless (no permanent address) and may have psychiatric and/or substance abuse problems.
- Must demonstrate willingness and commitment to work with a case manager to develop and work on goals.
- Must not be violent or suicidal.
- Must be able to support self with income from employment or disability.
- In some instances, be willing to live in a communal environment.
- Chronically homeless for HUD-VASH referral
- Interested Veterans should contact an HCHV staff person at:
Battle Creek VA Medical Center (269) 966-5600
- Jack Brandon, HCHV Outreach Worker, Extension 33148
- Marla LeMae, HUD-VASH Case Manager, Extension 30045
- Daleth Jean-Jules, HCHV Coordinator, Extension 31648
Available Housing and Community Resources are:
In Battle Creek:
- Haven of Rest Mission/Shelter: (269) 660-6630
- Share Center Day Program: (269) 964-8133
- Jesse Houses: (269) 966-5600, Ext. 33148
- Ministry with Community Shelter & Day Program: (269 ) 343-6073 or (269) 343-6013
- Kalamazoo Gospel Mission/Shelter: (269) 345-2974
- Volunteers of America Michigan Men & Women's Overnight Shelter: (517) 484-4414, Ext. 106
- Veterans Dormitory Program (6-month Contract Residential Program): (517) 484-4414, Ext. 113
- Veterans Housing Program (18-month Transitional Housing Program): (517) 484-4414, Ext. 119
- Residential Services of Southwestern Michigan: (269) 591-2983
In Grand Rapids:
- Healthcare for Homeless Veterans - Grand Rapids Service Center (walk-in services): (616) 234-0220
- Goodwill Industries of Grand Rapids, Inc.: (616) 459-2874
VA Benefits: 1-800 827-1000