Battle Creek VA Medical Center
Student, Resident, Intern, University Staff, and Non-Paid Work Experience Without Compensation (WOC)
If you are a student, resident, intern, university staff member assigned to supervise students on site, or a Veteran working under the Non-Paid Work Experience (NPWE) program, there are requirements you must complete before starting your rotation. Please review the instructions on this page and complete these items within the timeframe indicated in order to avoid delay of your start date.
If you are a returning student - paperwork, training, and fingerprints previously submitted may still be valid. Please contact the WOC Team at VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov or (269) 223-5239 to determine what needs to be completed.
Extensions of WOC Appointments are granted on a case by case basis, and must be requested through email by your VA preceptor to VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov two weeks prior to the expiration of your current WOC appointment. Extensions may require refresher training, a new PIV card, and additional paperwork.
This process is coordinated by Learning Resources Service (LRS) and Human Resources Management Service (HRMS) at the Battle Creek VA Health Care System. If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the WOC Team at VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov or (269) 223-5239.
Please follow steps 1-9 below (Steps 1-5 must be completed a minimum of 6-12 weeks prior to your rotation).
All students, residents, interns, and university staff members MUST have a US Social Security Number. If you don't, please stop here and alert your Program Director of Training. Also, does your training program have an appropriate Affiliation Agreement with the Battle Creek VA Medical Center? Please contact Ms. Joyce Harris at (269) 223-6428 or submit inquiries to Joyce.Harris2@va.gov.
Complete a fingerprinting appointment and submit required paperwork 6-12 weeks prior to your VA start date. Walk in appointments for fingerprints are available Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Friday 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Battle Creek VA Medical Center, Human Resources Management Service, 5500 Armstrong Rd., Battle Creek, MI 49037, Building 24, Room 120/121. Parking is available at building 24, Lot E. Overflow parking is available in Lots F and A.
- Please bring the following REQUIRED to your fingerprinting appointment:
- Two pieces of identification from the list of Acceptable IDs
- Your completed REQUIRED PAPERWORK:
- Form OF-306, Declaration of Federal Employment
- Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Form
- VA 10-2850d, Application for Health Professions Trainees (For all students and residents)
- NPWE affiliates should submit a current resume that includes full address and dates for employment and education.
- Non-Citizens please bring the following:
- Proof of employment authorization issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service
- Your current passport or visa
- Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility or Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Report
- Naturalized Citizens please bring your naturalization paperwork.
If you reside closer to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Saginaw or Iron Mountain, or if you don't reside in Michigan - arrangements can be made for "courtesy fingerprinting" at one of these locations. Call (269) 223-5243 or (269) 223-6780 for instructions. If you reside near Grand Rapids, Big Rapids, or Lansing - the Battle Creek VA will be the closest fingerprint location for you. If you are completing your fingerprinting at another VA location, please fax your paperwork 6-12 weeks prior to your start date to (269) 223-5433, Attn: WOC Team.
If you have questions about fingerprinting, call (269) 223-5243 or (269) 223-6780.
Note: The fingerprint office is closed on Federal holidays:
Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday, President's Day, Memorial Day, and Independence Day.
If you are a student, resident, or intern, please ensure your school or university has completed and submitted a TQCVL (Cover Letter Template / List of Students Template) to Ms. Joyce Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org 6-12 weeks prior to your rotation start date. Questions regarding TQCVL's should be directed to (269) 223-6430 or email@example.com. Note: If your academic program requires Basic Life Support (BLS) training and certification, or you are enrolled in any of the following disciplines: Nursing/RN, NP, APN, DPN, FNP, Medical/Physician, Physician’s Assistant, Psychology, Optometry, Blind Rehabilitation, Pharmacy, Dietitian, Audiology, Social Work, Physical Therapy, Recreation Therapy, Paramedic, Transitional Residence (TR) House Manger, the Affiliate or Academic Institution MUST retain and provide VA with proof of BLS training through American Heart Association or The Military Network if asked. Your training must be current, i.e. not outside of the recommended renewal date listed on the card. If you belong to one of the listed disciplines and have not taken BLS training, you are required to do so at your own expense (or through your school) prior to your start date at the VA. Please ensure the Affiliate or Academic Institution has this on file.
Please complete VHA Mandatory Training for Trainees (instructions below) 6-12 weeks prior to your VA start date. Once your training is complete, email the training certificate to VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov.
- VHA Mandatory Training for trainee instructions:
- Give yourself plenty of time to complete this process. After you self-enroll, Talent Management System (TMS) 2.0 needs 20 minutes to create your account. Only after your account is created can you log in and complete the required training.
- To Self-enroll you need the following VA facility-specific information:
- VA Location code (3-charachter code): BAC
- Trainee Type: If yours is not listed, select Associated Health
- Specialty/Discipline: Select most appropriate
- VA Point of Contact First Name: WOC
- VA Point of Contact Last Name: Team
- VA Point of Contact Email Address: VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov
- VA Point of Contact Phone Number: (269) 223-5239
- Go to the TMS Website: https://www.tms.va.gov/secureauth35/.
- Click on CREATE NEW USER
- Select VETERANS HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
- Select HEALTH PROFESSIONS TRAINEE (NOTE: DO NOT Select WOC)
- Complete all Account and Job Information and save
- Wait 20 minutes and then continue the steps below. If you need assistance with TMS, please reach out to Ms. Joyce Harris at (269) 223-6430 Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. or email Joyce.Harris2@va.gov.
- After 20 minutes:
- Return to the TMS website: https://www.tms.va.gov/secureauth35/.
- Enter the email address you used to enroll and click Submit.
- Elect to receive your one-time-passcode via email and click Submit.
- Enter the passcode and follow all instructions.
- Once logged into TMS 2.0 click the Home Icon and select Learning.
- VHA Mandatory Training for Trainees should appear in your To-Do list, click on the Start Course button to launch the training. Make sure pop-up blockers are turned OFF.
- Certificate of completion should be available upon completion, or click on the Home Icon, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on View All under My History. Click on the Printer Icon under Action.
- Be sure to add your personal phone number to your account: Click the Home Icon and select My Employee File. On the Personal Information section find the pencil icon and click to edit Personal Information. Click in the box labeled Phone and enter your phone number. Click Save to confirm the change.
- Be sure to retain log in information for easier TMS access in the future.
Required only if your rotation will exceed 180 calendar days. Please complete 6-12 weeks prior to your VA start date. Contact the WOC Team at VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov or (269) 223-5239 to start the process for a full background investigation.
Required. Please be sure to review the PIV Applicant Training. It provides an overview of the VA's ID badging process. You DO NOT need to print, sign or submit this document. It is for your review/reference only.
Please log into TMS (See Step 4 for Instructions). Look for ‘Browse the Catalog’ or ‘Browse Catalog’. Enter ‘CPRS’ into the search bar. You should see ‘CPRS Tab by Tab: A Basic Orientation (VA 35795)’. Please click on this title and click to start course. If you need assistance with TMS, please reach out to Ms. Joyce Harris at (269) 223-6430 Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. or email Joyce.Harris2@va.gov.
Required. On the first day of your rotation at the VA, please report to HRMS for in-processing at 8:00 a.m., unless stated otherwise by your school or preceptor. If your school or preceptor has informed you of a different start time, please send an email to inform the WOC Team at VHABACWOCTeam@va.gov. Please bring two pieces of identification from the link provided in Step 2. Identification must be original, valid, and not expired. Photocopies will not be accepted.
All students, even those rotating at the Veterans Outreach Center, or at one of our affiliated Community Based Outpatient Clinics (Benton Harbor, Lansing, Muskegon, Wyoming) must in-process in Battle Creek. You will report to your rotation location after in-processing.
Report to Battle Creek VA Medical Center, HRMS - Building 24, Room 118A. Park in Lot A.
Please be sure to complete the Office of Academic Affiliations (OAA) VA Learners' Perception Survey at the end of your rotation at https://www.va.gov/oaa/surveys/. Information from this survey provides feedback to identify areas of excellence as well as areas needing improvement. The survey should take about 10 minutes to complete.