Battle Creek VA Medical Center
Medical Foster Home
The Medical Foster Home (MFH) Program provides Veterans:
- An affordable option for long-term care and an alternative to nursing home placement for Veterans, who have a chronic disabling illness or condition, are unable to safely live alone, and have limited social support or access to the care they need.
- A home-like environment to enhance the Veteran's quality of life.
- Quality care that includes 24-hour care and supervision, room and board, medication management, and assistance with daily tasks and personal care needs.
- An interdisciplinary home care team (VA Home Based Primary Care) that includes a nurse, pharmacist, dietician, psychologist, social worker, rehabilitation therapist, and recreational therapist.
For general program information, call (269) 966-5600 Ext. 35635.
For Program Information
Contact the Medical Foster Home Program Office at (269) 223-5635 or Toll Free at (888) 214-1247 ext. 35635.
MFH Program Environment
- Safe and therapeutic home environment
- Private / semi-private room
- Variety of relationships
- 24-hour care and supervision
- Flexibility in daily routine (personal/individualized care)
- Transportation to medical appointments
- 3 meals/day and snacks
- Socialization and recreation
- Safeguards against abuse
- Possibility for pets
- VA Medical Foster Home Coordinator and Home Based Primary Care team will monitor the Veteran's care and make periodic home visits
- Care is provided at the expense of the Veteran and his/her family or legal representative and cost of care is based on the Veteran's care needs and financial resources
- MFH Coordinator will work with Veterans and VBA to help maximize benefits (if the Veteran is eligible) to assist the Veteran in their ability to pay for his/her care in the MFH
MFH Program Benefits
- Provides Veterans and their families with a new option for long term care
- VA Home Based Primary Care team provides interdisciplinary home care with the goal of stabilizing the Veteran's health and avoiding hospitalizations
- Provides long-term care and companionship for Veterans and the opportunity for caregivers to give back to America's heroes
- Caregivers receive ongoing training and support from the Medical Foster Home Coordinator and Home Based Primary Care team
MFH Program Requirements for Homes
- Must be owned or rented by the caregiver, and the home must be the caregiver's primary residence
- Maximum of 3 residents/care recipients (Veterans and/or Non-Veterans) per home
- Must be located within the VA Battle Creek Medical Center’s service area
- Must be inspected by the Home Based Primary Care team and by the VA fire/safety personnel
- Meet all state (Michigan and Ohio) and local licensure requirements and regulations, including construction, fire, maintenance, and sanitation regulations
- Meet the proper provisions of the most current edition of the National Fire Protection Association Life Safety Code, Standard #101
MFH Program Requirements for Caregivers
- Complete the Medical Foster Home application/inspection process
- Be financially stable, at least 21 years old, and have formal or informal patient care experience
- Be committed to providing long term care for Veterans, usually until the end of life
- Be physically able to provide the needed care, and have a written backup plan with relief caregiver(s) identified
- Notify the Home Based Primary Care team about changes in the Veteran’s normal appearance, behavior, or health, and be willing to accept and follow the Veteran’s treatment plan
- Ensure a friendly and homelike atmosphere within the residence
Battle Creek VA Medical Center
Bldg. 13, Room 010
- 888-214-1247 Ext. 35635
Hours of Operation
- 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.